WellUrban

Personal reflections on urbanism, urban life and sustainable urban design in Wellington, New Zealand.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Mystery bar number 22

File under: , ,

Mystery Bar #22 - mirror ballThe previous Mystery Bar, as I revealed earlier, was Lumiere on the corner of Manners and Willis St. It may very well be a pleasant enough café and restaurant, but it's not so great as a bar, and I certainly wouldn't recommend ordering a Martini there.

This week's mystery bar was visited during our Bar Safari last Saturday. The intention was to drag ourselves out of our habitual watering holes and into the sort of places that we wouldn't normally venture, and we certainly did that. The itinerary went something like this: sports bar, wine bar, gay bar, piano bar, backpacker bar and this place. Apologies for the dim and blurry photos, but my camera doesn't handle dark conditions very well, and besides, it's not an inappropriate look for this sort of bar.

Mystery Bar #22 - swirly wallThe clientele was relatively mixed in terms of age and ethnicity, though I suppose they could all be described as "mainstream" in some sense. Another common factor was fakeness: we noticed plenty of fake smiles, handbags, tans and breasts. The cocktails are reasonably authentic, though: I had quite a decent Martini, and have previously had a well-made Daiquiri (a real one, not one of those sorbets in a glass).

If I'd been on the pull and lacking in discrimation this might have proved fertile ground, but as it was it was more a source of amusement for us. The most fun to be had was sitting outside, watching the inebriated and/or underaged trying to convince the doorman to let them in. Inside, it was hard to talk, move or breathe, but that's to be expected at 3am on a Sunday morning.

10 Comments:

At 6:56 pm, February 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it Vespa?

 
At 12:05 am, February 24, 2006, Blogger s. said...

First I thought "Maya", then I thought, "No, Red Square", and then I thought "Maya" again, then I thought "Boogie Wonderland".

Then I thought, "How the fuck should I know, I've only ever been to one of the above".

Kate or Sifty oughtta know, I reckon.

 
At 8:45 am, February 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'd say vespa, but the wall patterning reminds me of the new look indigo and good luck.

 
At 10:03 am, February 24, 2006, Blogger Kate Borrell said...

I want to say UU but there doesn't appear to be enough mirrors and it's lacking a large pole.

 
At 10:06 am, February 24, 2006, Blogger Kate Borrell said...

Hey! I've never been to Boogie Wonderland... yet.

I've been to Maya once. That's one scary urban cougar zone.

 
At 11:27 am, February 24, 2006, Blogger Hadyn said...

I saw the disco ball and thought "Tom, not Boogie Wonderland!!!"

It looks kind of like UU and the clientele you describe smack of Courtenay Place so I'm gonna go with...Vespa?

No, wait what's that one that's always filled with real estate agents and subaru drivers? Mini Bar?

 
At 5:39 pm, February 24, 2006, Blogger s. said...

I reckon Maya, because of the "trippy" graphics on the wall which remind me of its tasteless street presence. Never been inside though.

Can't be UU, Kate is right - there's no mirrors. (The one time I went there, I was utterly messed-up and started having some kind of episode because of the mirrors. It was quite a while before I realised that it's not some underground palace, but more like the size of my bedroom).

Nice deployment of "cougar", Kate - word of the week? :P

Isn't Vespa in Allen St?

 
At 9:27 pm, February 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coyote?

 
At 11:23 am, February 25, 2006, Blogger Jules said...

I would out my money on Red Square...

 
At 9:28 am, February 27, 2006, Blogger Kate Borrell said...

Stephen - you've helped develop my urban language skills. I'm getting down with the homies. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home