WellUrban

Personal reflections on urbanism, urban life and sustainable urban design in Wellington, New Zealand.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Street eats: Satay Kingdom

File under: , ,

Wellington has plenty of cheap and cheerful Malaysian restaurants and takeaways, and Satay Kingdom is one of the cheapest and most cheerful. What makes this place different, though, is that there are usually more customers outside than in, taking advantage of the intimate pedestrian-friendly environment of the Left Bank.

Satay Kingdom, Left Bank
Though not strictly a street vendor like Tony Chestnut, Satay Kingdom nevertheless helps create a lively, market-like ambience well into the evening. It's unlicensed, which would put a lot of people off straight away, but you can't argue with $5 Roti Chanai.

3 Comments:

At 1:24 pm, August 31, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We don't have even one single Malaysian restaurant here in Dunedin. So quite often on my trips to Wellington I'll pick up a takeaway Char Kuew Teou (sp?!?!) from Satay Kingdom and stink out the plane with Malasian goodness as I bring it back down to Dunedin :-)

 
At 1:39 pm, August 31, 2005, Blogger Hadyn said...

When we first came to Wellington I was still a student. $5 Satay Kingdom Roti Chanais were my staple diet.

 
At 1:48 pm, June 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Satay Kingdom's Roti Chenai was my staple diet - as in every day - until I recently got a bad batch and spent the next two days vomiting curry and chunks and chicken into the toilet.

No matter how I try, I just can't bring myself to eat there anymore.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home