WellUrban

Personal reflections on urbanism, urban life and sustainable urban design in Wellington, New Zealand.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

To the Point


I've lost track of all the farcical twists and turns in the consent process for the proposed Marine Education Centre at Te Raekaihau Point, but I still support the centre for the same reasons that I outlined way back in October last year.

Proposed Wellington Marine Education Centre - east elevation
Submissions for the rematch (the original hearing was a two-all draw) close at 4pm tomorrow. You can use the city council's generic online submission form (applicant name: Wellington Marine Conservation Trust; site address: Te Raekaihau Point; service request number: 145743) and find all the consent documentation on the trust's website. I'm not as much of a die-hard supporter of this project as I am of inner-city waterfront developments, so I won't exhort you to put in a submission in support. Just read my original post and the links I posted to the two sides of the argument, make up your own mind, and get involved.

5 Comments:

At 3:46 pm, June 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for relinking to your older post! It's an interesing debate.

I'm all for urbanisation within the city. But this seems like the start of sprawl.

 
At 2:06 pm, June 07, 2006, Blogger Tom said...

That's the reason why I toook a while to make up my mind on it. Why not build the aquarium on the inner-city waterfront where we can all walk to it?

But after reading the detailed description of the project I realised that it's not an aquarium. At least not in the traditional sense of a collection of hermetic tanks full of exotic fish. It's designed to be a part of its environment, and natural rockpools and the surrounding sea are as much a part of the experience as the interior exhibits. If I read it right, the kelp forest tank will be connected to the open ocean: hence the need for good water quality.

So, it's a bit like the proposed visitor centre at the Karori Wildlife Sanctuary. Sure, it has some standard exhibits that could be in an inner-city facility, but the whole point of it is that it's embedded in the environment that it is teaching us about.

It's unique, and a very special case, so I don't see it as the start of sprawl. In fact, the objectors living in suburbs spread all over the hills and coast are much more the culprits when it comes to sprawl!

 
At 2:38 pm, June 09, 2006, Blogger Hadyn said...

They just need public transport out to it. I don't think there is a bus route around there (they usually divert up Hungerford Rd).

Hmmm, maybe a PRT! ho ho.

 
At 11:08 am, June 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding the use of public transport, I understand that Stagecoach are interested in establishing a bus route that could well be a circuit to Houghton Bay.

There is also talk amongst the tourist circuit busses for a combination of city to Marine Centre, Karori Wildlife, Otari, Cable Car Museum, City & Sea Museum, Te Papa.

Wouldn't a connection between those and no doubt other areas be great for Wellington?

 
At 9:15 am, June 19, 2006, Blogger Tom said...

"I understand that Stagecoach are interested in establishing a bus route that could well be a circuit to Houghton Bay" - That would make sense. I think I made it a condition on my submission that adequate public transport be provided.

As for specific tourist bus circuits, I once thought that it would be good to have a couple of frequent routes taking in the main out-of-town attractions. A "green route" through Karori Sanctuary, Otari, the Botanic Gardens (and possibly Futuna); and a "blue route" via the marine centre, F69 and Lyall Bay surf reef (if that goes ahead). And of course, the buses would be hybrids or biofuel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home