WellUrban

Personal reflections on urbanism, urban life and sustainable urban design in Wellington, New Zealand.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Rhesus wept

File under: ,

It seems that yesterday's post has sparked some controversy, not about the merits of anarchism or resistance to consumerism, but about primatology. I had identified one of the delightful objets d'art in the window display as a "glowing chimp", but Hadyn begged to differ, claiming it was a glowing rhesus monkey. Now, normally I would bow to Hadyn's expertise when it comes to monkeys, but I thought I'd have to go back and take a better photo of our mystery primate:

Mystery primate
Hmm, still looks a little chimpish to me. I took a closer look, and it's actually labelled "Gorilla"! So perhaps it's time to follow correct police procedure and pull in the usual suspects for a line-up:

The lineup: mystery primate suspects
So, ladies and gentlemen (and any other higher mammals who might be reading this), which one is it? And to bring it back to consumerism think about this: this tasteful piece of decor will set you back $169.90. What would you rather spend that on? As for me, I'd probably start here.

2 Comments:

At 11:22 am, November 09, 2005, Blogger s. said...

Ha ha ha ha go Brownlee.

Possibly it's supposed to be a juvenile gorilla, it looks too wise to be a chimp.

Anthropomorphism. Watch me go, now.

 
At 1:23 pm, November 09, 2005, Blogger Hadyn said...

When you inspected the item did it have a tail?

If not then I would say "Chimp" because Gorillas have flatter noses.

If it does have a tail then it is either a Rhesus (old world monkey) or a Brownlee (new right wing).

I err for Brownlee. As can be seen in the new photo, the lamp has a large glowing belly. Plenty of parliamentary photos will note this similarity to the Brownlee.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home