WellUrban

Personal reflections on urbanism, urban life and sustainable urban design in Wellington, New Zealand.

Monday, March 20, 2006

Burger me!

File under: , ,

You may have noticed that the old Design Zoo shop on the corner of Courtenay Place and Taranaki St has been vacant for a while. You may also have noticed the absence of a "For Lease" sign and wondered what was on its way. Well, there's now a sign that gives it all a way: it's going to be a branch of Burger Fuel.

Normally, I don't get excited about takeaway joints, least of all those that are part of national chains. But I used to live in Grey Lynn and my taste buds still carry sweet memories of their original Ponsonby Road store. As Wellingtonians, we might be inclined to feel more loyalty for Burger Wisconsin, but even the Wellingtonista admits that the Fuel is far superior, and besides, Wisconsin don't have an inner-city branch. I've only tried a couple of burgers from Eat's menu, but I was a little underwhelmed by both quality and quantity. With the demise of Feedback (in that funny little section of ne'er-do-well shops by the Basin), there's definitely room for some serious Burgerry in Te Aro.

Their standard menu (112kB PDF, but it's easier to link to than their Flash-ridden main site) is pretty damn good, with Chignition Pear and the Ring Burner deserving particular mention. But I can remember some exceptionally delicious specials, such as Lamb & Feta (required eating, even for those who can't tell lamb from beef) and the spectacular Chatham Island Wild Boar. Mmmm, boar...

This branch should be very popular. Eat is closer to Waitangi Park, so that might be the burger provider of choice for pigging out in the park. On the other hand, if the council ever gets around to turning the adjoining sidestreet into a little park, then Burger Fuel will really have it made.

Update: they opened on Sunday the 30th of April, with a free burger offer. Who says there's no such thing as a free lunch?

11 Comments:

At 5:01 pm, March 20, 2006, Blogger Martha Craig said...

oh god. The shame continues.

 
At 7:55 am, March 21, 2006, Blogger Hadyn said...

I can't wait! Literaly cannot wait, until I'm standing on Courtenay Pl holding my doofer and trying to catch the juices from my ring burner.

...um hang on.

I am also looking forward to my first Wellington Bacon Backfire, having had one (well actually a lot more than one) in three different locations now.

 
At 4:55 pm, March 21, 2006, Blogger Martha Craig said...

We've had one of those Burger Fuel things out here in Huttvillia for aaaages.

We might need to get one tonight after all this burger talk.

 
At 4:58 pm, March 21, 2006, Blogger Tom said...

It probably suits the "petrolhead" theme! Does it have lamb burgers?

 
At 9:37 pm, March 21, 2006, Blogger the_sifter said...

Wendy's.

Why - oh why - can we not have a Wendy's down here? Is there no justice in the world?

*sigh*

 
At 9:43 pm, March 21, 2006, Blogger Martha Craig said...

Lamb, beef, chicken... Who can tell?

 
At 11:29 am, March 23, 2006, Blogger Tom said...

Yes, they've gone to the trouble of getting some of their burgers approved by the Vegan Society, which is good for imformed choice.

And for those of us of a more carnivorous persuasion, we don't have to explain what "Ground beef and Stilton sauce" means :-)

 
At 12:21 pm, March 23, 2006, Blogger Kate Borrell said...

I lOved Feedback Burgers.

 
At 12:17 pm, March 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohohoho

Yesterday I was lamenting the lack of dinner on Courtenay Place (having bored myself stupid with Courtenay Place takeaways 5 nights a week since Christmas) and while I enjoy Eat's chips and tartare sauce (which they helpfully deliver to my work so I can stay seated!) Once a week is enough to make my gradually deteriorating digestive system churn.

Plus. To get to the point in fact. I remember this place from Auckland.

Still unlikely to ever find a place that'll give me Rump Steak burnt to a crisp, mashed potato and peas on bread*, but this'll tide me over for a little while.



*that's all of that on one bread, none of this sissy half a bread roll with dinner, I'm talking half a loaf of Supersoft toast here, but back to the burgers.

 
At 3:20 am, April 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, I'll be able to use my VIB card in town, and no more driving out to Lower Hutt for the BurgerFuel munchies

 
At 5:58 pm, May 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey on the note of 'burgers' in courtenay... I heard that the place called 'eat' is not all about burgers! (hence the name I suppose) apparently rumour has it they are getting ready for pasta dishes and also dine in & deliveries.... one to watch out for I guess :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home