WellUrban

Personal reflections on urbanism, urban life and sustainable urban design in Wellington, New Zealand.

Monday, September 17, 2007

The meaning of Where


A snapshot from my BarCamp presentationI only stayed at BarCamp for the morning, which I guess is a bit rude, but I had one or two other things to be getting on with at the weekend. My presentation seemed to get a good reception (and Marica has some kind words to say about it) so if you're interested, you can download it over at the ProjectX blog, along with my colleagues' talk on website optimisation. On its own, my presentation makes limited sense (I deliberately went for a presentation that was a visual accompaniment to my speech, rather than the usual "read out the bullet points" approach that everyone hates), but if you were there and want to see the images again, there it is.

As for a general summary of BarCamp, you can't go past the blog of BarCamp organiser (and fellow Wellingtonista) Miramar Mike. More commentaries are floating around the net, but most of them seem to be linked to from Mike's post.

By the way, I got there a bit before the doors opened and felt in need of a coffee. None of the waterfront cafés were open at that ungodly hour, so I wandered off and the nearest one I found was at Chameleon in the Intercontinental Hotel. Now if only someone would open a five-star hotel somewhere on the waterfront... oh, wait, they are.

5 Comments:

At 2:20 pm, September 17, 2007, Blogger Aron said...

I find that your slides stand admirably on their own, especially given their intended purpose as visual aid. They brought form and terminology ('reverse geocoding') to some concepts that have floated about my head or some time.

I don't suppose anybody bothered recording your talk?

 
At 11:26 am, September 18, 2007, Blogger Mike Riversdale said...

No worries about leaving early and certainly not rude - wandering in/out is the deal I think.

 
At 3:46 pm, September 18, 2007, Blogger stephen said...

I liked those slides, but unfortunately the OO version is a bit broken, with complaints about various images missing. :(

 
At 4:33 pm, September 18, 2007, Blogger Tom said...

Aron: thanks for the nice words. I don't think anyone was recording my words, which is probably just as well since the latter half was increasingly rapid burbling.

Stephen: hmm, I'll have to have a look at that - maybe I inadvertently inserted some as linked rather than embedded images.

 
At 8:53 pm, September 18, 2007, Blogger stephen said...

Yes, there were broken references to file:// urls

 

Post a Comment

<< Home