WellUrban

Personal reflections on urbanism, urban life and sustainable urban design in Wellington, New Zealand.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

The perfect Wellington cocktail list?

File under: , ,

It's all getting a bit serious on this blog today, so here's a bit of urban frivolity to lighten things up. Dena's about to head back to the land of the "free", and suggested a cocktail crawl as a send-off party. She lists these as her three favourite Wellington cocktails:
  • Maasique at Boulot
  • Figuratively Speaking at Matterhorn
  • Passionfruit Pavolva at Good Luck (also recommended by Jo Hubris)
This reminded me of L Magazine's perfect NYC menu (via Gridskipper), so I thought I'd suggest the idea of the perfect Wellington cocktail list. To Dena's delicacies, I'll add the following:
  • The 51 Martini (with an anchovy-stuffed olive!) at Capitol
  • Berry Mule and Rattled Tom (no relation) at Establishment
  • Scorched Orange Martini and the Q at Boulot
  • Glover Park Martini (no, it doesn't include meths) and Lezzo (almost as tasty as it sounds) at Good Luck
  • Pick-me-up, Tigerlily and the Bohemian at Neat
The more observant among you may have noticed a comments link below this post. Please click away and add your suggestions of liquid perfection.

6 Comments:

At 4:58 pm, August 02, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Off the top of my head, Rouge offers a whole Cocktail Degustation menu for $70. If someone would like to sponsor me, I'd be very happy to try it out and report back my findings.

 
At 5:47 pm, August 02, 2005, Blogger Martha Craig said...

Here here, I'll join you.

Out in Petone at Murphy's they have an apple one. It is jolly nice. I don't understand how you remember the names of any, because they get you so damn DRUNK.

 
At 10:35 am, August 03, 2005, Blogger Hadyn said...

The really manly pink Rosebud at Chow is nice.

The Wellington icon, Falling Water at Matterhorn or it's appley cousin Jacobs Ladder at Boulot.

Matterhorn also do a tall honey cocktail that's very nice (but I forget what it's called).

 
At 4:29 pm, August 04, 2005, Blogger Tom said...

Ah yes, the Rosebud. I would've mentioned Falling Water & Jacob's Ladder if they hadn't been tainted by the vegetable of evil (cucumber).

I just remembered Pancho's Breakfast at Boulot: tequila and apricot jam, served with some melba toast on the side. A great way to wake up.

Jo: I might have to try that Rouge degustation menu sometime. I've had mediocre cocktails and indifferent service the last few times I've been there, but I should give them another go.

 
At 12:18 pm, August 22, 2005, Blogger s. said...

> Re: Rouge..

ahhh, so it wasn't just me, then. Rouge was awful :(

 
At 3:59 pm, May 13, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come in to Motel and try some drinks but be warned I will not make any chocotinis. Also don't pretend you know your cocktails well and then go ahead and order a rosebud.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home