WellUrban

Personal reflections on urbanism, urban life and sustainable urban design in Wellington, New Zealand.

Friday, August 11, 2006

Karked it


Sorry, Krazy Lounge is closed forever. R.I.P.Krazy Lounge has Konked out. There's a sign on the door saying "Sorry, Krazy Lounge is closed forever. R.I.P.", and the inside is currently being used as a temporary sale shop for the appropriately-named fashion label Insidious Fix.

It opened in 1996, which certainly made it seem a permanent fixture in Wellington (though the mid-90s coffee scene was not quite so bleak as the My Wellington review makes out). What that review also misses (along with an article on Thread) is that the "Krazy" spelling was not just arbitrary kookiness, but a nod to the previous occupant: Krazy Rick's junk shop.

Krazy Lounge mosaicNevertheless, it was starting to seem a little dated, a relic of early 90s Midnight Espresso-era bohemia. A series of management changes didn't help, with very variable standards of service over the last five years, though the most recent (the owners of Petone's Caffiend, if I remember rightly) had raised hopes, and as recently as June, "Morgue" was saying:

Tonight I spent a couple hours in Krazy Lounge nursing a coffee, listening to a jazz quintet and reading last year's John Ralston Saul book on globalization.

Finally, I felt like a fucking citizen.
Despite that, it seemed to be open less and less often, and the end seemed inevitable. If anyone has the inside gossip on what happened, please share it here. It's a pity to see it go, but as with Rouge across the road, the site is too good to remain empty for long.

Oh and by the way, it seems like I'll have to drop more hints about the current Mystery Bar. It's upstairs, not far from the Golden Mile, and related to the much more high profile bar and restaurant below it.

13 Comments:

At 12:15 pm, August 11, 2006, Blogger Hadyn said...

Man, the Krazy Lounge was the first place we went to when we moved down here. But i haven't been in AGES. Am I to blame for this?

But i'll say this it better reopen as a cafe!

 
At 1:10 pm, August 11, 2006, Blogger Tom said...

> Am I to blame for this?

Yes.

> But i'll say this it better reopen as a cafe!

Or a tiki bar!

 
At 1:26 pm, August 11, 2006, Blogger Hadyn said...

You're right. What was I thinking?

The Kraze is dead, Long live the Tiki!

 
At 1:36 pm, August 11, 2006, Blogger Jules said...

I worked ther in the last months and there was a vast improvement in food/drink quality and service. I had a sports injury (broken finger) and because of the fact that it was going to take a couple of months to heal I resigned. In the end the customer was too weary of the inconsistancies in, well, everything to give the place a propper chance under Lou's management. I'm sure something fun, new and ambitious will pop up there in the near future. I am under the impression that the owners of Fidels have bought it. And if it does reincarnate as a Tiki Bar I will be one of the first in line (behind Hadyn and Tom I presume). Oh how I pine to be behind an espresso machine again...

 
At 12:29 pm, August 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the first time i went there, some 5 years ago, i was under the distinct impression i had stumbled into Wellington's obviously lesbian coffee scene. I mean, all the women appeared to be short haired, purple t-shirt wearing, slightly braless and somewhat unkempt, in an endearing kind of way... so i thought i'd leave them to it, as they obviously wouldn't want a hairy male in their midst, sympathetic or not. The name, "Krazy" also sounded like it was referring to Krazy Kat comic books and there was just an edge of counter culture to it - i loved the fact that in this town no-one wore a suit, and Krazy was the epitome of non-suit wearing bankers... ...later of course i found out that Krazy was no more lesbian than i am a teaspoon, and that's just the Cuba lifestyle for you.

Krazy Lounge : RIP - but hey, bring on the Tiki ! Ghuznee's new identity is forming before our eyes: PopUp, Eyeball Kicks, and a Krazy Tiki bar....

 
At 12:17 pm, August 14, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have it on dubious authority that Rodger and Pori from Fidel's/Havana will be opening a bar soon. more 'up-market' than Fidels apparently. Perhaps their next one will be in Lambton Quay…maybe even Wadestown

 
At 1:21 pm, August 14, 2006, Blogger Tom said...

Simon: there are many different definitions of "upmarket", so I expect it will be more Matterhorn or Good Luck than Lambton Quay or Wadestown. Does your "dubious authority" know for sure that it'll be a bar rather than a cafe? Will it be called "Raul's"? Is there any truth in the rumour that Havana might close?

 
At 10:23 am, August 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually tom I heard it would be called Batista's....however you are quite right it will be more Matterhorn than the Wellesley club. I too had heard they need more space and that Havana may close but hopefully these are just vicious rumours spread by Rex next door..

 
At 11:19 am, August 15, 2006, Blogger s. said...

"Fidels" branding all over the place this a.m....

 
At 11:50 am, August 15, 2006, Blogger Tom said...

Batista's, eh? From Fidel to Batista: hail the counter-revolution!

If it is a replacement for Havana, I guess a large proportion of their clientele will be disappointed: there's nowhere to smoke.

 
At 11:46 am, August 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No couter-revolutionary thought round here! From the Dom this morning; to be called Ernesto's apparently... Besides, there are enough capitalist themed bars in town already!

 
At 11:25 pm, January 12, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My God, Krazy Lounge no more? I was a regular for a few months (if that's possible) in 2000, when I stayed in NZ for a while. After going back to Norway I've often thought about the Lounge, and how I loved spending my afternoons slumped by the corner window drinking coffee and reading the Herald rugby section (understanding rugby was one of my main ambitions at that time). In a tacky scene I even bought one of their souvenir t-shirts, desperately trying to get more than my tiped for attention from a beautiful waitres. Alas, to no good fate. I guess I'll dig out the shirt and wear it one last time to honor the once so lively place, here at the other side of the world.

 
At 11:52 am, January 13, 2007, Blogger Tom said...

Don't worry, anon: its replacement WErnesto's is at least as good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home